Padre Island National Seashore
The wind can’t lift
Above a nodding fold
A flag for the world
To see who owns
Beached jellyfish and dunes.
They come by night,
Like locusts, Mexican dreamers
Who crossed the Rio Grande
Into the Promise Land:
Women give birth to Americanos;
Men risk their lives
For milk and honey they can earn
By the same peon sweat they shed
On their homesand.
Padre Island without a moon,
With its black flag and ocean waves
Speaking Spanish all night long.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hi Mr. Smith. Thanks again for letting my wife and I stay at your home last Friday evening.
Barbara introduced me to your blog. I will add it to my list. I enjoyed reading this poem, though I have to read it again to get more from it. My father writes poems, too. But I haven't persuaded him to post them to a blog. If he ever decides to do it, I'll let you know.
Say hello to Mrs. Smith for me!
Post a Comment